Appeals & Complaints


How do I appeal a decision?

You can appeal against a decision or action by the Board of Directors or staff, on the basis that the decision was unfair or a denial of natural justice.

Where the person with the complaint considers Metro Housing has acted outside its authority or has breached its policy they should refer to the Disputes Policy.

You have the right to seek remedies outside Metro Housing, e.g. Housing Appeals Committee.


Who can bring an appeal?

Any individual or co-op member.


How will the appeal be dealt with?

An Appeals Subcommittee appointed by the Board of Directors and comprising two directors and an independent person will meet with you within two weeks of a written request for a meeting being received by Metro Housing. The subcommittee will make a recommendation to the next Board of Directors meeting.


For further information regarding the Complaints and Appeals process, please contact Metro Housing.


Metro Housing Complaint Statement

Metro Housing aims to provide a quality service to everyone in our community, therefore your views are always welcome, even if they are critical.


We will listen carefully to all suggestions and complaints and try to resolve them. If you are not satisfied with our service or one of our policies you have the right to complain.


For instance you might think we have done something unreasonable, or you might feel we have treated you badly.


Please give us a chance to fix the problem. If you want us to reconsider a decision we made, you can request an appeal of the decision.


We will attempt to resolve disputes arising between:

  • Tenants of Metro Housing

  • Tenants and the Management Committee of the Co-op

  • The Co-op and the Applicants (such as people applying for assistance)


Who can complain?

The Disputes Process can be set in motion by any person who feels aggrieved or upset with a action or decision of the Co-op.


How do I start the procedure?

  • Talk directly to the person in the organisation who you think is responsible for solving the problem.

  • Explain your problem, what you would like to happen in future, and listen to their response.

  • If you are not satisfied with this the next step is as follows.

  • Put your complaint in writing to the Board of Directors of Metro Housing who will refer the complaint to its Disputes Sub Committee.

  • The Disputes Sub Committee will contact you to request a meeting to discuss the matter.

  • You may have an advocate or support person present and representing you when you meet with the Disputes Sub Committee if you prefer.

  • The Disputes Sub Committee can take immediate action when it meets and seek endorsement from the Board of Directors at its next meeting.



Metro Housing will keep a record of your complaint on file for one year after it has been resolved before destroying it. You may see your file.

The things you tell us are confidential and will not be given to anyone outside of the organisation unless you request Metro Housing to do so.

Metro Housing will record minutes of the Disputes Sub Committee meeting including the decisions and responses of the parties involved. We will put our response to your complaint in writing. If you are dissatisfied with this response you can take your complaint to a independent authority.

They can mediate between us and may make a binding decision. Examples are the Consumer, Trader, and Tenancies Tribunal, the Community Services Commission and the Anti-Discrimination Board.

© 2020 by Metro Housing. 


Suite 208,
1 Erskineville Rd
(corner of Wilson St)
Newtown NSW 2042


Tel: 02 9565 4599


Privacy Policy

Terms & Conditions


Monday    10am – 4pm

Tuesday    10am – 4pm

Wednesday 1pm – 4pm

Thursday  10am – 4pm

Friday by appointment only


You can also contact us online.