top of page


Metro recognises that over time a tenant’s needs can change and they may need to request a transfer to another property within our portfolio.   This may be the result of a change in household composition, medical issues making the current property unsuitable or the need to relocate closer to employment, services or family.  

In general Metro will not approve a tenant transfer unless the tenant has been in their current property for over two years, except where the tenant’s health or safety are compromised by remaining in their current property.   

We will also generally not approve a transfer where a tenant has added an additional person to the household and then requests a transfer due to over-crowding.   There may be special circumstances such as a Children’s Court /DCJ order placing a child into the long term care of a tenant, or the tenant assuming caring responsibilities for an immediate family member who is unable to live in their own premises.

All such requests will be considered based on the merits of the individual circumstances and supporting documentation being provided. 

Requests for internal transfers should be made using the Internal Transfer form, clearly outlining the reasons why you need to move.

Please note that tenants who are in rent arrears or who have large non-rent debts will be ineligible for a transfer until the debt is repaid or there is an active repayment agreement in place and the debt is below $500.00.

Management Initiated Transfers

There will be circumstances where Metro will be required to undertake Management transfers to ensure the effective use of our properties or in response to external factors.  The reasons we would take this action include

  • Under occupancy of a property

  • When we have been issued with Notice by a private landlord or their managing agent which requires us to vacate the premises.   Notice can be given for breach of the terms of the lease (generally by our sub-tenant – 14 days); End of fixed term lease (for the lease between the owner/agent and Metro – 30 days); Sale of the Premises (30 days) or with no grounds (90 days).

  • In response to ongoing/intractable neighbourhood disputes or breaches of the Good Neighbour Policy

  • Issues related to management of a particular tenancy or our property portfolio, including proposed sale, upgrade or redevelopment of a property or the need to undertake major maintenance tasks.



Where possible and appropriate we will relocate tenants in their current allocation zone/the allocation zone they were approved for on the Housing Register.  This is subject to management of our property portfolio, the availability and affordability of properties and current rental medians for leasehold properties.

What is a reasonable offer?

An offer is reasonable if it meets the tenant’s known housing and locational needs and provides access to required services.  In most circumstances, a tenant must provide adequate evidence to support their request to live in a high demand area.

For management transfers, or tenant-initiated transfers that require an urgent response, only one offer of alternate housing will be made and this can be from any of the 5 allocation zones that the tenant has been approved for.

Rights of Review and Appeal

This policy is appealable.  If the tenant does not agree with a decision we have made they can seek a formal review from a senior officer that was not involved in the original decision/offer.   

Our Compliments, Complaints and Appeals Policy outlines how tenants can request a review or a decision. 

If the tenants is unhappy with the outcome of their appeal they can lodge a second tier appeal with the Housing Appeals Committee.  The Housing Appeals Committee is an independent agency that reviews certain decisions made by FACS Housing Services or a Community Housing organisation.   They can be contacted on 1800 629 794 or at

Assistance with relocation

We will provide a contribution to relocation expenses for management initiated transfers where Metro has received Notice to Vacate from the owner/managing agent where it is appropriate and necessary.  

We will assess each tenant’s situation on a case-by-case basis and make a decision based on the individual circumstances of the tenant.

We will not provide assistance for relocation where the tenancy is being terminated as a result of a breach of the Residential Tenancies Act by our tenant.

How do I apply to transfer?

If you think you need a transfer to another property, you will need to first put your request in writing clearly outlining the reasons why you need to move. Please post your request to us at:

Metro Housing Organisation, PO Box 1198, Newtown NSW 2042.


How are transfer requests processed?


Tenant transfers will be dealt with in the following way:

  • Transfer requests will be dated from the date they are received at the office and recorded on a computer database.

  • Tenants will be notified in writing of the receipt and recording of their request.

  • Transfers will be offered on a wait turn basis.


What if the property is in rent arrears?


Tenants in rent arrears, or owing any other monies to Metro Housing will be ineligible for transfer until the monies are paid in full.


How are transfers allocated?


If two or more requests are received on the same day for the same size property the tenants will be contacted when a vacancy occurs and if more than one tenant wants the property the decision will be referred to the Tenant Selection Committee.


The Committee will decide the transfer using Metro Housing needs-based tenant selection policy.

What are the costs involved in transferring?

Tenants taking up transfer offers within Metro Housing must pay a bond (equivalent to 4 weeks rent) for the new property.


Tenants transferring pay the removalists costs.

bottom of page